Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 6-7 of Lyra's Pregnancy

Week Six 

Lyra has a noticeably larger tummy and her pregnancy will be obvious to "most" people -- her extreme "tuck up" is gone.  To me, her tummy seems to grow on a daily basis, and her nipples have become noticeably bigger and pinker.  I've increased her food by about 1/2 cup. She is currently eating Merrick Grain Free Chicken or Duck.

I have also added her favorite Raw Dog Food by "I and love and you" (link: http://www.iandloveandyou.com/dog/raw-dehydrated/).  Eventually the puppies will be raised on this  entire same diet (kibble and dehydrated raw).

All my dogs get "Bone Broth" which is freshly made each Sunday in my Crock Pot with a roasted chicken.  Lyra loves the extra flavor in her kibble.  


Csilla, Lyra and houseguest, Archie (Lyra's nephew) supervising the bone broth.


Week Seven (ends 1/31/2014)

I've prepared my spare bedroom by setting up the whelping box for Lyra and the babies.  She will have soft fleece bedding, all the whelping supplies as needed (latex free gloves, spare towels and blankets, hemostats, thermometer, newborn puppy collars) and a in-room thermometer to monitor the the temperature (needs to remain 78-80F at all times).  I also have fellow breeder friends "on call" to assist with the whelp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment